I love this stew. It's ideal for cooking for larger groups. I made this stew recently when friends of ours moved into their new home in which lots of things still needed to be done (including finishing the kitchen). A team of friends had agreed to help out with the DIY and I promised to arrange the food. The good thing was that I could do all the preparation the day before. On the next day, all I had to do was take the large pan with me and reheat.
When I put the pan on the fire the smell spread around the house and everybody was in the kitchen pretty quick. They all served themselves, so they could determine the size of their portion and all that was needed was a bowl and a spoon per person - very practical.
What fascinates me about this dish is that although no herbs and spices are used, this dish has a fantastic fragrance and deep taste.
Try it once and...
1. In a large cooking pan, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil and on a medium-to-high heat, start frying the lardons until they have released their fat.
2. In the mean time, cut the sausages with a pair of scissors into small pieces. Stir fry the lardons with the pieces of sausage until the sausage is changing colour.
3. Cut the garlic into very small pieces and add them to the pan - do the same with half the onion.
4. Cut the spring-onions into small pieces; stir them into the mixture in the pan.
5. Wash and cut the tomatoes into small pieces (the tomatoes should ideally be a sweeter and juicier type of tomatoes). Stir the tomatoes into the mixture in the pan.
6. Rinse the lentils and add them to the pan.
7. Cut the carrot in pieces and add it to the pan.
8. Add water (circa 1/2 a liter)
9. Bring the water to the boil and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes, thereafter lower the heat and let simmer for 45 mins. (occassionally stir).
10. Add pepper according to your own taste and this delicious dish is ready to be served.
Serve with a red wine!
The Preperation in images:
Image 1; all ingredients for the Spanish Lentil Stew
Cutting the sausages into small pieces with scisors:
Image 2; cutting the sausages into small pieces using scisors
Cutting the onions
Image 3; cutting the onions
Cutting the Spring Onions
Image 4; Cutting the spring onions
Cutting the tomatoes
Image 5; Cutting the tomatoes
Cutting the garlic
Image 6; Cutting the garlic
Fry the Lardons and the sausage
Image 7 Fry the Lardons and the sausage until the sausage starts changing color
Add the chorizo, onions and garlic
Image 8; Add the Chorizo and the onions
Until here you can turn the heat down slightly
Rinse the lentils
Image 9 rinse the lentils
With the lentils add some cold water as well until the water covers all the ingredients
Cut the carrots (add these as last)
Image 10 Cut the carrots
Bring to the boil and let cook on a high fire for several minutes. After that lower the heat and let the whole pan simmer for 45 minutes.
Image 11 let simmer for 45 minutes
After 45 minutes - add to bowls and enjoy!
Image 12; Spanish Lentil Stew in a bowl.
Storing part of your dish in a food container means you'll have your lunch for the next day ready also!
Practical advise for cooking this Lentil Recipe:
For the best results, Lentilworld.com recommends to use a slow cooker. Buy a Slow Cooker online and have it delivered to your house by Amazon.com - trustworthy and reliable: