I first had this dish when I was on holidays in Spain. It is an absolutely beautiful dish for a warm day. Perfect as aperative or side dish too. If you use peppers with the right colour, this dish will look stunning!
If you have never made a Lentil Salad before than this is an excellent way to develop your experience. It's simple and can easily be repeated. In case you want to experiment a bit, try using different types of vinager as this can change the palet of the dish completely. The obvious choice is to start with white wine vinegar, but why not try apple cidre vinager for example or Mirin (Japanese rice Wine Vinegar).
Beuaty is often in the simple things. Many people would add extra ingredients to this dish which is fine (I've given a couple of examples) but I love the taste of this dish as it is.
Serve cold - very refreshing!
1. Rinse the Lentils and bring them to the boil in a sauce pan. Simmer for about 30-35 minutes.
2. Drain Lentils and rinse with cold water.
3. Cut the Peppers and the Cucumber into small peaces and add to the Lentils
4. Chop the Basil and the Garlic very finely and stir them into the Lentils.
5. Combine the Olive Oil, Vinegar and Mustard and stir them into the Lentils too. (Make sure you don't use too much of any of these ingredients - remember it's always possible to add more later)