home >> Recipes >> Red Lentil Soup
Red Lentil Soup
This is a Spicy Red Lentil Soup! But it goes without saying that you are in control of how many Chilies you put in...
1. Add the Onion, Chili, Celery, Red Pepper, Pumpkin, Ginger, Garlic and Spices to a big pan (don't fry them). Add water to just cover the ingredients and place over high heat; bring to the boil.
2. Wash the Lentils and add these to the pan. Add the stock.
3. Simmer for at least an hour with the lid of the pan on.
Ingredients (serves 4)
* 400 gram Red Lentils
* one to two sticks of celery, chopped
* 1 small Red Pepper
* 4 red chillies, chopped (take less if you don't like spicy)
* 1 fresh Green or Jalapeno chillie, sliced
* 1 litre of vegetable stock
* 2 Carrots, chopped
* 2 Onions, chopped
* Half a pumpkin, peeled and chopped
* 1 tablespoon of grated root ginger
* 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic
* ground gardamon
* cumin seeds
* garam masala