We found this dish in Leeds (United Kingdom). We'd spent a couple of days in London and wanted to see a bit more of England. So we chose to travel by train to Leeds. We were lucky a as our visit happened to coincide with the Leeds Carnival with its large procession that finishes at Potternewton Park, where there were stalls, entertainment and refreshments etc. The atmosphere was so energetic! This Red Lentil Soup was served at one of the stalls. A spiced soup with a little kick!
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a medium saucepan. Add the Onion and on medium-low heat sweat for 8 minutes until soft.
2. Add the Garlic, ginger and ground spices, and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes.
3. Add 900ml Water, the cocunut milk, Lentils and lemon skin (not the juice). Bring to the boil, then simmer until Lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the lemon skin, add one and a quarter teaspoons of Salt and some white pepper and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt if you like.
5. Pour another 2 tablespoons of oil into a small saucepan and heat. Add the cumin seeds and chili flakes, adn cook on low heat for a minute. (no need to cook; this is your Chili Oil and is meant to give your Lentil Soup Tip out into a heat proof bowl.
6. Wipe clean the saucepan and pour in enough oil to come 2 cm up the sides. While the oil is heating up, mix the corn flour with a quarter-teaspoon of salt and some white pepper. Toss the gofu in the corn flour, shake off any excess and fry in batches until golden, about 5 minutes (the oil must be just hot enough genty to fry the Tofu). Drain on kitchen towel and set aside somewhere warm.
7. To serve, heat up the soup, stir in the lemon juice and divide between 4 bowls. Top each with some fried Tofu and a drizzle of the Cumin and Chili Oil, and finish with a sprinkling of Coriander.
Ingredients (serves 4)
* ~250 ml Sunflower Oil
* 1 medium Onion, chopped
* 4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
* 250 gram Red Lentils
* 20 gram chopped fresh Ginger
* small tablespoon each; ground Cumin, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Cardamom and Coriander
* 400ml Coconut Milk
* shaved skin of 1/2 Lemon, plus 80ml Lemon Juice
* Salt and Pepper
* 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
* small tablespoon of Chili Flakes with a pinch of Sweet Paprika