home >> Cooking
Guidelines and Instructions for Cooking Lentils
How do I cook Lentils is a question often asked. It rather simple and easy!
Consumers will be able to buy Lentils in dried form. They can not be eaten as such and need cooking.
It's often claimed that Lentils need pre-soaking in (cold) water, however this is not entirely true. When soaked for about 4 hours, though, this will decrease the amount of cooking time required significantly. Dispose of any lentils that float after soaking as these are old.
It is recommended to rinse Lentils before cooking and also, make sure that no hard debris is left.
Bring a pan of water to the boil (1 cup of dried lentils will result in approximately 2.5 cups of cooked lentils). Add the Lentils and let them cook on a high fire for about 5 minutes, then lower the fire and let simmer. Lentils placed in already cooking water are easier to digest than those that were brought to the boil with the water. To boil Lentils use 3 cups of liquid to 1 cup of lentils. Most lentils require a cooking time between 15 and 40 minutes depending on sort and size.
1. Soak in (cold) water if preferred (for a couple of hours)
2. Dispose of the Lentils that float after soaking
3. Make sure there is no irregularities left
4. Bring water to the boil in a pan and add the Lentils
5. Bring back the water to the boil on a high fire
6. Lower heat and let simmer for 15-40 minutes until ready.
Discuss this Recipe on our Forum